View Single Post
Old Mar 3, 2018, 08:01 PM

I understand the sentiment about complete soundtracks versus more condensed album experiences. I err on the side of completism so that I can prune it down to what I want if I want to or have everything if I want to, but I certainly can see where you're coming from.

However, about buying the album just to encourage further releases and not for the merits of the music, I totally disagree there. While Nintendo frequently makes pretty traditional games (when they're not doing explicitly experimental stuff like for the Wii and DS), their composers since about the GameCube era have had pretty individualized musical voices and frequently write some very nontraditional and creative stuff. Maybe I'd peg Pikmin as the game that began this pattern. It seems Nintendo isn't content to hire people who are simply good musicians, they have to be quirkier than average.

Breath of the Wild isn't my favorite Zelda soundtrack, but it's definitely still good and is additionally unique and interesting, and I find those to be worthwhile virtues.