View Single Post
Old Feb 3, 2016, 03:04 PM
Trusted Editor

Did you read what I said above? I'm 99% positive Hydrocity is not anything from MJ or his team. What you said proves my point, with the Act 2 version of Hydrocity sounding nothing like most other Act 2 themes in the game, with exceptions given to Angel Island and Marble Garden. (two tracks we know 100% for sure were written by Japanese composers, and thus not MJ). Also, Nagao confirmed years ago he was the one who wrote Hydrocity Act 2, so I'll take his word over any "disbelief" he couldn't write anything like that.

To recap, MJ and his team heavily used vocal/unique percussion samples in their tracks, and every single one of their confirmed pieces were removed in the PC collection, while Hydrocity didn't use samples at all, and wasn't replaced. The song is also stylistically different from anything MJ and his team did for the game (heavily emphasizes melody over dance beats), and has similar instrumentation to Lava Reef Act 2, which Nagao told me he also wrote. It's still possible MJ or one of his crew members wrote Hydrocity, but unless one of them confirms it, I'll go with it being a Japanese composition.

Slightly off topic, but I'm starting to think more and more than there were other uncredited Japanese composers on the soundtrack. From all the research I've and others have done (from process of elimination), it comes down to Tatsuyuki Maeda and Sachio Ogawa doing around half of the soundtrack. The problem is that Maeda's style isn't obvious here, so he may have had just a minor role akin to Senoue, and Ogawa wouldn't have been a lead composer on the project, not with the more senior composers on the project. Others have suggested Naofumi Hataya and Masafumi Ogata, but I'm 99% sure they didn't work on Sonic 3 because they were both in-house Sega composers (why would Sega omit them?), and Hataya's Wave Master profile doesn't list Sonic 3. Not to mention both would have been busy working on Sonic CD at the time anyway. I've still never figured out Opus Corp's role in the game either. (They were credited alongside Howard Drossin and Cube, both confirmed to have written music for the project). Apparently, Opus' once stated on their website that they did "eight tracks", which would fit nicely with what we know.

@drdevilfx I don't hear any Maeda in Hydrocity Zone, mind pointing out where?

Last edited by dissident93; Feb 3, 2016 at 03:33 PM.