View Single Post
Old Jun 18, 2010, 01:15 PM
Trusted Editor

I still think adding this information to an album is valuable information. E.g. I didn't buy the reprint of Vagrant Story because I knew that the remastering was actually just compression of the original data and lots of clipping that wasn't on the original DigiCube album. So I waited for a original DigiCube copy to surface and eventually bought it.

Mastering _is_ import and I have quite a high-quality audio setup, so it makes a huge difference for me. So if I've got the choice to buy a better mastered version of the album, then I buy it -- even if it's more expensive. I don't collect VGM just because I want to collect, I collect because I listen to the music -- and listening to heavily compressed music is just no fun at all. IMHO it's all about dynamic range -- anyone who has listened to a good live orchestra concert knows that.

'loudness war as a fact of life' <- this is not acceptable for me. I paid a lot of money for the original RCA Victor releases of the first three Star Wars soundtracks, simply because the mastering of this specific release is best. All other are heavily modified (compressed, filtered, etc.) and I just refuse to buy something like that.

I'm all for spreading the word and punishing the publishers which screw up the mastering (or whoever does it for an album). Tolerating this trend is not going to help us....