View Single Post
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:15 PM

Primary author here. Somehow, I seem like I'm stepping into the lion's den by responding, but here goes:

"Mitsuda can’t compose a battle theme to save his life..."
Yeah, I can accept this being just a tad of a hyperbole on my end. For Jormungand's benefit, I can list 6 games that Mitsuda's written for with the other two that isn't Xeno-related or Chrono-related being Legaia Duelsaga and Sailing to the World. I've listened to Legaia Duelsaga and IF "Fight, then Riot" is a battle theme, it's certainly a solid and enjoyable one. To be more precise (and intellectually honest), I'd say that when most people think of Mitsuda, it won't be for his battle themes (unlike say... Sakimoto).

On Hamaguchi:
Unfortunately, that was the takeaway that I got from listening to Hanasaku Iroha: nice, enjoyable, pretty music that makes up my top 10 OSTs list from 2011. In fact, in looking at a list I cobbled together, it'd be my 9th favorite OST from 2011, sandwiched between Guilty Crown and Nichijou.

That said, most of the issue I had with it was the the themes just weren't as compelling and memorable as some of the others I ranked more highly; stuff like Yumekui Merry was really solid and it definitely made a stamp upon me with the dissonance is uses to sculpt the nightmare-ish world. And then there's Ikoku Meiro no Croisee, which was absolutely charming and memorable in the way the music just washes over you relaxingly. Finally, the music for Chihayafuru, Hunter x Hunter, Last Exile, and Dantalian no Shoka just made a huge impression on me. Chihayafuru especially was memorable with that sweepingly beautiful main theme.

So yeah, all of that... that's just how my opinion falls. If nothing else, hopefully you'll at least know where I'm sort of coming from.