View Single Post
Old Oct 24, 2010, 02:27 AM

Quote:
And then there was much whining.

It's your own fault for setting high expectations to begin with.
that's bullcrap, haha. while i had no intention of buying this release, you cannot blame those who do for wanting more bang for their buck; you SHOULD have high expectations when money is concerned.
besides i don't think anyone here is surprised. just disappointed.

Quote:
Their sound technology is last century
emphatically disagree. I know why people say that but I don't hear it whatsoever these days. perhaps that's a correct assertion when referring to their games that use sequenced audio as the mainstay, but I think Twilight Princess was the last to do that four years ago. It's that their games (as well as HAL's) have an idiosyncratic sound; a different approach from the norm, much like the games they accompany. they are not realism-obsessed like most game developers. for that they deserve commendation. so it's a matter of aesthetics rather than technology. the non-orchestral elements in the Super Mario Galaxy soundtracks are a-okay to me, they're modern synthesisers alike any other soundtrack, but they're using "lo-fi" presets that are more in line with the character of the games. they seem to have largely done away with the general MIDI-grade sample libraries in their Wii titles (which aren't without their charm, but that's another argument.)

As for their sound staff, I think some of the more recent additions to the sound team (Nagamatsu, Sudo, Shiiba) are great. I reckon their quality dipped in the gamecube generation but their current output is very nice IMO~