View Single Post
Old Apr 21, 2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanne View Post
Yeah, I know it's conflicting with the original meaning of the word. But around the western vgm boards, and also here, it has been more-or-less synonymous with fan arrangement. Basically it's the word we chose to go with, it could have been 'fan made' or something else.

So I can understand if it might be confusing for people who are used to the term in its original meaning, but it would be equally confusing the other way around. And since this is an English language site it seems more logical to go with the 'westernized' version.
It doesn't seem very logical to me to reinforce the incorrect use of a term. It being widely used in that manner doesn't make it any more correct.

Quote:
In this case we wouldn't need to add their work to begin with.
I was illustrating a point.

Quote:
In that case it's still an official release, why should it matter if the game is fan-made or not? It's almost impossible to draw the line between professional game developers and "fans" these days anyway, with XBLA, Wiiware, etc.
That's the point, that it is official but also doujin. Also, I'm not talking about fan-made games (that is to say, games based on other franchises.)

Quote:
It's still an official (legal) release. This is almost more like the norm anyway.
Again, illustrating a point. That's how we normally would categorize them but calling them 'official' is debatable.

Quote:
I'm not sure how you could release it if you don't own the rights, though? Sounds almost like a bootleg ;p
I was more thinking of this in the context of someone releasing some tracks for free or something along those lines, not a bootleg album.

It ultimately comes down to how the field should be used. I hold that it should be used for the publisher's status as a business (commercial, doujin/indie, bootleg) and others want it to determine the officialness of the album (official, fanmade, bootleg.) I don't know what the original intention for the field was.

Last edited by Ira; Apr 21, 2010 at 03:12 PM.