View Single Post
Old Sep 16, 2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
I could be wrong but I think it's server-side, not client-side
you could have the fastest computer of the world, if the server takes time to generate the page so it'll be slow for everybody
Oh okay, that sounds like it's probably the way it works, but it still takes way too long to load regardless of what's loading it. There's just too much junk on that page. Razakin, considering there pretty much aren't any original Touhou soundtracks (maybe a couple for the fighting games?) and it's all fan shit, yes, it would be better if Touhou just resided somewhere else.

Actually, I hadn't known that people had talked about splitting the database. That would be the most sensible move, though I have no idea how that's even possible at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilef View Post
One individual even grumpier could point out that "Anime" still is a shortened way to say Animation
And that individual wouldn't really have much of a point considering that anime refers to all Japanese animation. Can you imagine anyone watching Pocahontas, being asked what they're watching, and answering "anime"? Yeah, that's pretty absurd The fact is, nobody considers the word anime to apply to non-Japanese animation. Whether the term sounds like it means a certain thing is a bit moot. Pretty much anybody who uses the term will tell you that Western cartoons are not anime.

An important thing to know about words: there's a (sometimes antiquated) dictionary definition for a word, and then there's what it means in the everyday practice of a culture. That usage is the real meaning of the word, since it's how the word is... well, meant when people say it. That the word "anime" is a shortened pronunciation of the word "animation" doesn't really have any meaning when people use it to describe a particular thing.

But like it's already been said, it's the database of "visual arts" so what-everrrrrrrrrr
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiLO View Post
At some point there was an album submitted which was not vgm-related but it had 1 track used in a promo trailer for a game (think it was Xenosaga) so... the submission was declined, but frankly an album like that is as big of a stretch as any other Original Work album from demo scene, or any Original Work from Nobuo Uematsu if it's not vgm related.
Agreed and that was kind of going to be my point of submitting that (I was really going to): it would probably be declined, and then this database would really just not know what it wants In fact it has MORE to do with VGM than a Nobuo Uematsu original CD; it actually has a song found in a game! It has REAL game music! Yet it would probably be declined. The current situation is a real mess.

Last edited by Hellacia; Sep 16, 2014 at 11:37 AM.