View Single Post
Old May 22, 2018, 03:49 PM

I hope I'm not too late to the party to suggest a game series whose soundtracks were conceived with an orchestra in mind. I may be biased because I revere the works of the multifaceted Kentaro Haneda, but his output in the Wizardry saga is of comparable quality to the earlier works of Koichi Sugiyama in the Dragon Quest series. It's just a pity that he had to use a synthesized orchestra for his albums instead of a real one.

On a few ocassions, Haneda himself arranged a few Wizardry pieces for symphony orchestra. I don't know many game scores with a Baroque sound so recognizable. It would be an amazing tribute to have a project dedicated to perform his music in the Wizardry series. High music-writing quality is already there in these soundtracks.

As for what approach I'd like to see the FFIV project to take, IMHO, the more symphonic narrative the better. If you could tell the story of FFIV in thematic suites (Baron Kingdom, characters relationships, the world of FFIV, Lunarians and Antagonists) would be much more interesting and compelling than a collection of selected pieces of the soundtrack. And I know that what I'm proposing is much more difficult to do than the Distant Worlds approach, but also much more rewarding.