View Single Post
Old Aug 22, 2018, 01:54 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrk506 View Post
Typos are pretty common in video games, especially Japanese games with English characters. It just seems very odd, considering that an N is very similar looking to an H, that there was a mystery person at Konami who worked on one game and it was at the same time Norio Hanzawa was working there AND some of the music to that game sounds like Hanzawa's (granted, I might be influenced in what I'm hearing because I'm already leaning towards thinking it's him).
I don't know why it's baffling to you that they might just be a person who worked on one game and then moved on to something else, or retired, or was fired, or died? Some other folks off the top of my head who appeared in one game under sound/music etc. and then never in any other game: Dan Miyakawa* (Kirby Super Star), Kentaro Ishizaka (SSB Brawl), Kunitaka Watanabe (Death Crimson), Hiroshi Mitsuoka (CV Circle of the Moon), Nao Hatsutani (Tomba), Atsushi Yoshida & Kanako Teramae (FE Path of Radiance), Naoto Miyatake (FE Radiant Dawn), Miyuki Homareda (Harvest Moon Back to Nature), etc.

Like, it's not the same thing but in real life I know several different programmers who joined a company, worked on one project, and then left because they didn't like it there or decided they weren't interested in that specific area of coding. It absolutely doesn't seem odd to me that "N.KAZUO" could just be a person who found out that they hated writing video game music.

*Assuming that the KSS Miyakawa is the same as the songwriter Miyakawa, he does actually finally have second video game credit 20 years later, but it's just lyrics and background vocals for a song composed by someone else so I don't think it really counts haha.

Quote:
Maybe Ichio is a newer thing for him? Maybe it's kind of like a new alias or something. Are there any English printed credits with Ichio Hanzawa during the Konami or Treasure days? Like any album releases?
The first appearance I know of is on the Mischief Makers soundtrack album (1997) in Japanese only, and then after that are the Silentvision works where it's in both English and Japanese.

The argument that he might be "N.KAZUO" because... N looks like H, and... he used a name that's not read "Kazuo"... for a different company... eight years later (Cue Brick is 1989)... just doesn't hold any water for me without actual evidence, sorry. (And I've been ignoring the music comparisons with Quarth because that's not at all solid evidence either.)

There's no way that would seem logical if GMCL hadn't made the mistake that 半澤一雄 is read "Kazuo Hanzawa" despite the contemporary evidence and the rest of the internet had spread that around.

Quote:
Also, isn't there someone we can ask who worked with Norio Hanzawa about what the deal is with these alternate names? Katsuhiko Suzuki, Aki Hata, Atsushi Fujio, or Hidehiro Funauchi? One them is probably contactable and could clear it all up, right?
Some of them have Facebooks, you could give it a shot.