View Single Post
Old Jul 11, 2017, 01:18 AM

New music piece: Ajna's Theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj1kRe0U5tQ

Some tidbits by the producer (Ravidrath on NeoGAF):
Quote:
I've said it before, but commissioning awesome game music from the likes of Yamane and Kikuta might be my favorite part of my job.

And I've got a ton of awesome stuff banked for the future as we reveal more levels, etc.

Like, the battle theme in the AX2017 sizzle reel and another battle theme I can listen to looped all day, pretty much.

Generally music falls into two categories for us: environmental and cinematic.

For environmental stuff, we mostly provide art, a story summary for that region, and some keywords. In almost all cases, he's nailed these on the first try. But in the cases where he hasn't, we'll follow up with some references to help guide him towards the feeling we're looking for.

For cinematic / character stuff, which is more emotionally ambiguous and difficult to describe, we start out with reference music, as well as story summaries and keywords.

And for what it's worth, virtually all of the "misses" are still great pieces of music, so we find other uses for them. For example, one track for a particular sequence in the game didn't fit what we were looking for, but made a great general tension / excitment / shit happening track. So we kept that for that purpose, and then provided additional reference to get what we were looking for on the other one.

In addition to this, I walked Kikuta through the entire story over a lovely dinner when I was in Tokyo for TGS last year, so he'd have a sense of what we were looking for. And we also sent over a translated outline of the entire story after that.

He promised that the music at the end would make people cry.

For Ajna's theme in particular, it was always envisioned as being the same theme as the main theme, just as a more personal, quiet take on it. So we started with reference for the main theme, and then once we got that done, we had him prepare the Ajna theme "remix."

Because each region has its own exploration and battle theme, this game will have a LOT of battle music. Not to mention boss music. So you should have quite the playlist for your running. Estimating around 15-20 tracks that would fit that description?

I need to actually sit down and add all this up, but I'd estimate that we've probably got around an hour of music right now.

Last edited by Datschge; Jul 11, 2017 at 01:32 AM.