View Single Post
Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:18 AM

Location: Deciding whether to do Secret of Mana or Wild Arms for my next album

Get the licenses from easysonglicensing.com

Then I usually distribute via CDbaby.com

Pretty easy these days.

I have caught a few people who "cheat" and upload content to a distributor who then circulate content to places like Spotify without paying properly paying the Royalties--so this in particular is frustrating given that I see these VGM songs getting millions of streams, and a lot of revenue. Worse is that I see people uploading non-original content to Spotify and getting paid for it. For example, I found someone uploading Streets of Rage original game rips onto streaming platforms, and there is no way in hell that any one would grant a license for that. Cover songs are totally fair game if you jump through the right hoops and pay the appropriate fees through easysonglicensing.com.

There is risk if you decided to go through and not pay royalties. I really have no firsthand knowledge of anyone having had content removed from Spotify, etc, for not paying the appropriate fees once discovered, nor original IP owners suing violators, but it could in theory happen. But I have reported instances of fraud like this whenever I can, it really robs from the composers that musicians supposedly "admire" enough to derive a work from.