View Single Post
Old Sep 10, 2008, 11:47 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Perhaps it's not apparent from the thread title, but the first post specifically targets "spelling differences". I think it's a given that in whatever tracklist translations we do, we should aim for words and phrases that both European and American users -- not to mention English speakers worldwide -- are readily familiar with (that's what I meant by "regionally neutral terminology"). So the issue here is just whether we spell "neighbour" or "neighbor", "colour" or "color", and so on. It's simply (as mentioned in the first post) for the sake of consistency. If you know this already feel free to disregard it; I addressed it only because you linked to a site discussing the differences in dialects.

As for the flags: yes, I know that the British flag is commonly used to denote an English translation; however that would clash with the usage of American spelling, thus some sites have begun using a "world" icon as a compromise. I think it's a good one.

(Perhaps this is not so much an issue of translation but confusion over the main point of our posts?)