View Single Post
Old May 12, 2018, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
So if Sonoda is "S" in the interview, this is a confirmation that he composed "Provincial City of Rolent" from SNK FC right?
I wouldn't say it serves as confirmation -- after all, he also mentions Silver Will and Ishibashi confirmed it as his. Sonoda mostly means that even backwater areas like Rolent in Sora look more stylish and urban than Gagharv's towns, and that they wanted Sora to have new elements that are fitting within The Legend of Heroes franchise but musically different from Gagharv.

That being said, Sonoda kinda made it sound like he contributed some to Hoshi no Arika's (The Whereabouts of Light in XSEED's localisation) arrangement for FC. He said that it came from Confession, and that Hoshi no Arika ended up being adapted for an ending theme when they realized they'd have to split FC and SC, to soften FC's ending and make players more excited for SC. From the tracks he mentioned, pretty sure he did Coliseum, Border Patrol isn't Easy, Pride of Liberl, Royal Castle (shows up in Border Patrol isn't Easy and Pride of Liberl too), Grand Arena (uses the Coliseum theme), Release from the Spell, and... and A Cat Relaxing in the Sun. Provincial City of Rolent though... I have no idea who could it be. The acoustic guitar seems rather "sub-par" for Murayama and his sounds were more advanced in terms of timbre and dynamics than Sonoda/Ishibashi's, on top of better at sequencing guitar lines, since he's a bass player. The simplicity would fit the Sonoda from that era, but the flute seems like an outlier for him and the looping in the guitar part reminds me of Ishibashi. A lot of Sonoda's synth in VM Japan (the other Falcom soundtrack from that period with confirmed credits) was more clean in general than what he uses in FC, I don't think his work in FC is representative of everything he was capable of.

Also, the two interviews in the OP have been translated into English.
https://www.esterior.net/2016/08/tra...ton-issue-8-s/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Falcom/comm...lopment_staff/

Last edited by 《J》; May 12, 2018 at 03:52 PM.