View Single Post
Old Nov 28, 2011, 07:32 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by toor21 View Post
There are two different translations about tracklists.
2. Emerald Woodlands , The Green Green Woodlands.
6. The Millennial Azure Woodlands , The Thousand Year Old Cerulean Woods
8. The Fallen Capital of Shinjuku , The Capital of Shinjuku
13. Bird-Shaped Vane on the Roof , Bird-Shaped Vane on the Triangular Roof

Which one is correct? Would anyone explain why the translation is appropriate? If there is an official english translation, please let me know...

And if the latter is correct, please modify the tracklists in 'Live Music by Piano and Strings : Sekaiju no MeiQ 1 & 2' album to fit the translation.
Green Green Woodlands is just a bad translation, probably the first one that happened, and it probably spread around the Internet because of that. The Emerald Green Woodland makes more sense, although Emerald Woodlands makes sense as it's a very "green" green. I would say Emerald Green Woodlands is a relatively literal translation, Emerald Woodland is taking a bit of poetic license (which is fine in this case).

Millennial Azure Woodlands is also bad, the second is much better. I don't know if I would use the word "Cerulean" over "Azure" but since you're using "Emerald" for the other labyrinth track, it makes sense. I like the sound of Azure better, but it's not very specific.

The Fallen Capital Shinjuku is correct, The Capital of Shinjuku is NOT correct. There is no 'の', and the first kanji I believe describes the capital as fallen or destroyed. Omitting that is omitting a significant meaning.

The Bird-Shaped Roof one is up in the air. The kanji means "triangle/triangle" + "roof" + of + "domestic chicken" + "decoration", so I think both are an accurate description. Is triangular necessary? Probably not in the Western world, where triangular roofs are the norm. You could arguably replace "Bird-shaped Vane" with "Weather Vane", although it loses some of it's context.

Also, I haven't played Etrian Odyssey but the Woodlands locations should be pretty easy to verify what the English names are in a walkthrough.

Hope that helps.