View Single Post
Old Nov 6, 2007, 07:04 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
The Demo Scene was category was included to cover stuff like G.M.O Christmas Songs, which really didn't have a place in a VGM database, but was always there because it was released by a VGM company. The thing that ties it all to VGM is that the demo scene category is intended to be used for chiptunes (and perhaps that's a more accurate name,) or in other words, music composed for sound processor from a gaming system. This is different than Works, because it's a pretty specific type of music, and it's not restricted to game music composers.

However, I don't have a feel for how large the demo-scene discography might be. We might run into the same problem as we (sort of) are with digitally released remix albums, in that if there's just too many of them, then they may detract from the database's focus.
The current description of the category mentions chiptunes, but if the intent is just for original pieces written as chiptunes, then it could definitely be a lot clearer. I really couldn't give you a number that's at all accurate for how many of these albums there are, but I do know that there are quite a few albums in that 8bitpeoples label I linked in the opening post that are either purely chiptunes or incorporate chiptune sounds into songs with other instruments. Other than those, I really don't know too many apart from the occasional rare album like G.M.O Christmas Songs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
This all leads up to another point. I think we really want to restrict the Works category to only include albums from artists who are primarily known as VGM composers. For example, Trent Reznor composed music for the Quake series. However, that does not mean that we want to put the whole Nine Inch Nails discography on VGMdb. He's just not prominent enough in VGM. Similarly, I don't think most of those Vert "Works" albums should be here if they aren't chiptunes; I've never even heard of Vert.

On the other hand, the same question is going to arise with some of the Doujin circles.
I think this is fair. I was actually thinking about things like "Ronnie Montrose has an album, but it'd probably be bad if we put up his whole discography" last night. Questions like "is this guy close enough?" follow naturally from this.

Regarding virt (Jake Kaufman), he started as a video game remixer (he's the founder of VGMix), but since then he has composed music for quite a few games (he has 30 listed on his professional site), and has even confirmed being the composer for the upcoming Contra IV. Also, for good measure, those FX albums do also happen to be chiptunes (or fairly close imitations).