View Single Post
Old Nov 7, 2007, 06:45 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
The Demo Scene was category was included to cover stuff like G.M.O Christmas Songs, which really didn't have a place in a VGM database, but was always there because it was released by a VGM company.
If the arrangers involved have VGM credits, that's fine of course. If they didn't, I'd take it out. It doesn't matter to me who published it. What if Alfa Records released a minority of random J-Pop albums with 0 VGM ties but primarily stuck with publishing VGM. Now we should add that J-Pop because they're primarily a VGM publisher? Of course not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
Similarly, I don't think most of those Vert "Works" albums should be here if they aren't chiptunes; I've never even heard of Vert.
I can tell. :-P But why would I add something that doesn't belong? I enjoy the site too much. I'm not gonna add stuff that doesn't belong. But related to that, I would consider icing Demo Scene as a category and integrating all of those with Works. If you want a cutoff point, and rationale for it, here it is:

Nothing against the demoscene or the chiptune medium, but from my POV I don't wanna see non-VGM-related albums from artists who aren't VG musicians, including 8bitpeoples.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with it as music and it does honor VGM, but I would agree with Secret that it would dilute the database, at least at that category level, once you start including material from musicians who work in the chiptune medium but were never professional VG musicians and/or tracks that aren't doujin arrangements.

One could argue that simply working with the chiptune format of classic computers and consoles makes that VGM, but I disagree with that. Working in the same medium with the same sounds doesn't automatically equate that music to video game music. Especially underscored by today's VGM, VGM is not a genre classification defined by what sounds are used.

Last edited by Liontamer; Nov 7, 2007 at 06:53 AM.