View Single Post
Old Mar 28, 2012, 12:24 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Listening to Ep. 4 (Mega Man) as my introduction to this podcast series...

Starting out, there's too much discussion of subjective opinions ("skippable tracks", "cheesy sounding", "classic", "I love this part"). Personally, I think most of the Mega Man series music is excellent, including Mega Man 8. I can overlook personal opinions, but you need more objective musical discussion. Also, some of the stuff you do discuss is either rudimentary or technically vague. For example, the "delay" effect on most NES music is actually created by duplicating the melody from one square wave channel to the other but using an offset on the starting point (it may also be transposed).

While you discuss MM3, things are better. There is more discussion of chords, scales, and instruments. However, from MM4 all the way to MMX2 you fall back into being subjective. Sometimes the musical discussion is just superficial. Terms like "harmonies", "vibrato", and "rhythm" are thrown around without being specific about how each track is using them. During MM7 and MMX3 you go back to knowing what you're talking about (e.g. mixing, intervals) which is refreshing.

I think your podcast has a good idea, but if you're going to tout the music theory and production aspects, you should really dig into it. Break the songs apart (NSF2MIDI anyone?) and have some notes taken about specific elements ahead of time. What key/mode is it in? What are the chords it uses? What is the time signature? Which rhythms are present?

Also, you could research the composers a little more beforehand. For example, Kinuyo Yamashita (MMX3) did write music for the original Castlevania, but "Vampire Killer" was composed by Satoe Terashima. Also, the Mega Man 10 OST has 46 tracks. It's all right here on the site (check the album notes too).

By the way, the recording and mixing of the podcast is good and clean. Nice balance between music and voiceovers. I can't believe how many other podcasts I've heard that get this wrong (*cough* VGM Decibel *cough*).