View Single Post
Old Nov 21, 2011, 11:26 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Been playing with linking releases. Nice work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
Next, I need to work on how this stuff displays on the album page.
My #1 thought is that there should be some way of grouping or culling "similar releases." It would suck to see Infinity Gene in the list three times for the Evolutional Theory album. I think this could be potentially difficult/impossible to automate without adding a way to manually group releases, though.
  • Same title on different platforms: could group as "Space Invaders Infinity Gene (iOS, XB360, PS3)"
  • Different title on same platform because of localization: not showing both "Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles" and "Akumajo Dracula X Chronicle" on the Dracula X Chronicles OST (ideally this would be selectable by language preference)
  • Different title on same platform because of limited edition, reprints, etc.: Little Busters! Ecstasy Tracks would hopefully show just "Little Busters-EX" and not "Little Busters-EX, Little Busters-EX (First Press Limited Edition)"
  • Different title on different platform because of retitling ports/remakes or localization: (EDIT) Little Busters-EX was later ported to the PS2 and PSP as Little Busters Converted Edition. Both EX and CE releases are covered on Ecstasy Tracks. Maybe at that point it would be better to ungroup and show "Little Busters-EX, Little Busters Converted Edition."
Some of these cases could also be solvable by being stingier with creating releases or looser with creating products. (EDIT) Could also just collapse all specific release info entirely: hide it all until the user clicks and then show all covered releases without having to worry about grouping and shit. It'd certainly work better with the new vertical listing than it would have before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
You can even select "All Releases" and another release, if the album contains music from all releases and music from a specific release.
This is cool, and I've already run across a couple of uses for it. Is the plan to show both the main product and then the specific release separately?

ANOTHER THOUGHT: I'm going to end up linking the Little Busters-EX and CE releases to a number of albums. Looks like 15. No big deal, has to be done at some point.

Suppose the game is rereleased again later: another port, or a Best Edition or whatever. So I add another release. But now I have to go back through those 15 albums again and link them to the new release too. This is lame.

Last edited by CHz; Nov 22, 2011 at 04:16 AM. Reason: added more content