View Single Post
Old Oct 23, 2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident93 View Post
I have talked too (technically typed to) to both Tokuhiko Uwabo and Masaru Setsumaru. Uwabo states that he did NO musical compositional work himself, only arranged the team together.

And Setsu says he did NOT compose the data select song, he only arranged it. He also stated that he took songs Howard did, and arranged them for the Genesis. But we already knew that.

We need Ogawa, Maeda, and Sawada to be questioned next. Too bad these guys are so hard to find and contact.
I've done a substantial amount of research on this topic over the years and I believe this is what we know up to this point.

1. The Sonic 3 title, Marble Garden, Ice Cap, Carnival Night, Launch Bass, Sonic 3 Miniboss, Sonic 3 Credits, and Competition Select were composed by MJ and his crew.

2. Jun Senoue (sp?) did the Act Clear and Gumball Bonus Stage.

3. Doomsday Zone and the Sonic 3 Final Boss were composed by the same person.

4. Flying Battery and S&K Miniboss were composed by the same person.

5. Drossin only did Knuckles Theme and the S&K Title Theme.

6. Cube Corp (a music subcontractor) did 8 songs for Sonic 3 (although who knows how many were actually used.) Another music subcontractor, Opus Corp, was also credited in both Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles. My guess is they provided the S&K tracks. I highly doubt we'll get exact credits for those tracks. Although both companies are still around, I'm not sure we'd get anything out of them if we contact them.

There are several things that we could possibly do.

1. Get Howard Drossin to finally listen to the music of Sonic 3&K to check which tracks (if any) are his, or release his demos (which he has been thinking of doing.) These seems like the easiest way to get some solid information, as he has been relatively OK with answering questions about his work with Sonic.

2. Somehow get Brad Buxer or Scirrico (has a facebook page) to listen to the music and confirm which tracks were the tracks MJ composed. Getting him to release the demos will probably never happen, but I really wish these guys would be a little more open to the idea of at least talking about the composition process for Sonic 3. I'm shocked Brad Buxer actually talked about Sonic 3 in that interview in 2009, seeing how he's dodged the issue for years.

3. Contact any of the former SEGA sound guys, although contacting composers in Japan (from my experience) is incredibly difficult in many cases.

4. Contact Cube/Opus corp.

5. Get Jun Senoue to finally talk about what happened with that soundtrack.

I'm thinking about starting an all out search for the true credits soon since the longer we wait, the more likely people who worked on the game are to forget what happened, although I'm not that confident we'll get something.