View Single Post
Old Nov 9, 2009, 03:44 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

I feel video game music is, in a way, already becoming more mainstream, because gaming as a whole has become more mainstream. The music within a game is generally a reflection of the style of the game itself. Asking ourselves if VGM should become mainstream is moot. I could draw many parallels and similes, but the important part here is that fans of video game music, like fans of anything, like to share their interest with others. Eventually, VGM mixes with other mainstream interests, and this combination is fed back unto the creation of the next round of VGM.

Just look at stuff like Subarashiki Kono Sekai and Grand Theft Auto. Both are influenced by urban culture, even though there are the Japanese/American and original/licensed differences. Do I like it? No. I think it's annoying, because I'm not a fan of most mainstream music (or several other mainstream activities for that matter). Luckily, there will always be the people who think differently and will cater to the taste of people who were fans of VGM back when it was more quaint. But even here, the level of staunchness is relative. After all, there are still some people who think only chiptunes can qualify as true VGM.

And if you're considering the whole "hearing Chrono Cross on the radio" aspect, it's not going to happen. Withholding a random instance here or there, the only VGM that will be creeping onto public airwaves will be stuff that sounds close to mainstream and/or classical music already. It's a melting pot, not Viva La VGM RevoluciĆ³n!

Last edited by Kaleb.G; Nov 9, 2009 at 03:48 PM.