View Single Post
Old Aug 10, 2019, 01:34 AM

Because Achiwa tends to use the same structures over and over again. Everytime I hear a song from him I'm like "Hey, this sounds similar to ... from Atelier ..." Which isn't such a bad thing, 'cause it keeps the musical atmosphere safe and sound with its "typical Atelier music", but the recent years his tracks became more and more boring and uninspired in my opinion. What I love about him when he goes into his rock arsenal with his pumpin' battle themes. He and Hiramatsu on guitar make such a good team.

I don't even need a composer breakdown. Everytime I hear a panflute I know "Ah, it's Achiwa". And this can be pretty lame after some years.

It's basically the same with Motoi Sakuraba from Tales of / Star Ocean fame. He is a gorgeous composer, but tends to use same structures over and over again. I like Yanagawa and especially Asano, who aren't afraid to try something new with new styles. Achiwa however doesn't stray too far from his musical path. Well, he's the godfather of Atelier music since Atelier Marie from 1997, so no wonder.

But sometimes you just need a bit of fresh air and young, dynamic composers ...

Last edited by Mac_Tear; Aug 10, 2019 at 01:38 AM.