View Single Post
Old Jun 25, 2012, 09:43 PM

Default Loudness War Casualty List

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldfishX
I remember looking at the volume level for Xenoblade and I couldn't believe, for that type of music, they would make it that loud. Virt's recent Mighty Switch Force OST is downright sad...every track is up near 99-100db. It should not be anywhere near that (his prior works were just right, as far as listening volume went) and it a huge reason I don't enjoy the music more (the actual music is amazing, I'd gladly pop for a well-mastered version of it). New-school Falcom has zero idea what they're doing, with regards to volume levels and dynamics and it kills 95% of the music outright for me. Just go listen to Mighty Obstacle from Ys VI for the ultimate example. Amazing tune, horrible, horrible production. And has anyone ever noticed, oh say, the Black Mages or Guilty Gear XX and why they sound off? Yup, whoever mastered those albums cranked them and the layers are distorted as hell (although ironically, the Korean GGXX is one of the best mastered albums I own...It sounds amazing and detailed on higher-end equipment) This weighs heavily on any buying decisions I make, because I have to be sure I'm not buying something I don't want to listen to, even if I like the music. I mean, when they say they are going to "master" the classic Megaman music, I am absolutely dreading the results.
This is a thread where we discuss and compile all the albums that are mastered too loud and/or are clipping.

From the above:
Xenoblade
Mighty Switch Force
Ys VI
Black Mages
Guilty Gear XX

From same user:
Fuujin Ryouiki Eretzvaju Original Soundtrack

From Vert1:
Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune 3

Last edited by Vert1; Jun 25, 2012 at 10:56 PM.