View Single Post
Old Jul 22, 2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz Lunar View Post
When I am mixing my songs I tend to aim for something like an average of -9db, sometimes higher or lower, but about that for a fully fleshed out song that has a beat and etc. I always thought it was because the kind of music I write didn't really need to be compressed heavily, though when I listen to things like dubstep, it seems entirely appropriate to have full wave saturation, it's kind of the point of the genre to be totally in your face, and that applies in other instances as well like lots of metal and breakcore and things.
I'm not so sure about most electronic music, but for metal, I need to hear most of the frequencies cleanly interacting with each other or else I tend to either get fatigued or bored with the music. Nothing worse than the wall of sound smashed into the midrange, especially if it's nothing but repeated notes like most thrash or power metal tends to be. And stuff like Dream Theater, forget it...Once listening fatigue sets in, my mind is in no shape to take in all of the great musical masturbation that is to follow.

To be honest, there isn't a single metal CD from the last 10-15 years that I would really call acceptable. I think rock music (and especially metal) needs that dynamic range, otherwise it really becomes easily disposable (like I said about most fanmade metal arranges).

Sorry to be off-topic, but I noticed the whole loudness wars thing with remastered/modern metal CD's before I did with VGM. It's MUCH worse in that realm.