View Single Post
Old Nov 13, 2019, 09:48 AM

Sounds like Dan doesn't recognize them. From my comment on the Birdman video :
Quote:
While I'm here, I was wondering if you could recall anything about these two odd tracks, ostensibly from Pilotwings 64, on this strange "Cool Cuts" CD. I have reason to believe that it's official, but these have almost no relationship to the final game.
Dan Hess:
Quote:
I would have to say that CD has no official context whatsoever. And I doubt it was released the year it shows. Crazy how many remakes of VGM there are!
So, if this even did come with NoA's blessing, as I still suppose, he had nothing to do with those tracks, and given that his demo that became Rocket Belt existed before he even took the job, I believe that any work in progress would have been recognizably his style. And at least he doesn't seem to remember hearing them, so they may not have been the reference tracks, though it was a quarter century ago.

Edit: I'm realizing he never said he did listen to them, so maybe he just dismissed the whole thing out of hand, knowing he never sanctioned a release?

To restate a few things:

My evidence that this is official is similarities to Original Greatest Hits, which showed up (with a slightly different cover) in the second N Gear catalog poster seen here. It uses that same weird Wave Race track, and they both name ALLIED DT on the inner ring, who I think also pressed the US printing of the proper Super Mario 64 OST; discogs mentions the matrix/runout text, and it has the same ugly label as OGH. The logos all look legit and trademarks are everywhere.

I suspect it is even more similar to Original Cuts, they have a similar CD label (and name), and the Wave Race track, but I don't have any info besides what's here.

The only other discussion I've seen about this was a NintendoAge thread where the consensus was that it was in a launch kit, but that's pretty hearsay-y. Maybe it was a later addition to that set.

Was this a dry run of OGH that someone slapped together some filler for? The tune for Hang Glider is in there so someone knew what it sounded like, but why not do the same for Rocket Belt? Is it referencing the SNES game somehow?

Maybe there were licensing/royalty issues putting the real tracks on CD? Pilotwings 64 never got an official release, and they left it off OGH, opting instead for an even weirder hodgepodge, with some Star Fox arrangements from the SNES album and some Rare stuff. Puzzlement continues.

Last edited by hcs; Nov 13, 2019 at 09:51 AM.