View Single Post
Old Mar 13, 2016, 12:14 PM

Location: Deciding whether to do Secret of Mana or Wild Arms for my next album

I like the FFIV rendition as well. Even though I am planning to release my own FF IV arrangements someday, and look forward to using my new trumpet modeling VSTi for the project, I know in advance that this song will be very challenging to make sound just right...it's hard to know whether to have more of a "loose" feel sometimes with actual keyed-in performance, or more "rigid" in terms of midi notation and having everything exactly on-the-beat as in the original pieces...

You did a great job though. The variation in snare for example helps keep thing a bit more musical, and the harp is quite nice.

One thing that sometimes bothers me in general is reverb--it can sound great on high end systems, but often times it can really make things muddy on lesser dacs and audio systems. I find it very hard striking a balance between those two mediums sometimes...I've only listened on my half-decent TV speakers, which aren't horrible, but they do lack a proper frequency response and DAC...but I've gotten used to knowing how they present things when compared to my good stuff, so I am pretty sure it sounds fantastic on upper-end playback systems...but it does exhibit a bit of that muddy characteristic that sub-optimal systems so often have.