View Single Post
Old Jul 21, 2019, 12:43 AM

Default Jaleco's Earth Defense Force arcade ost mystery

Hello, I registered to see if anyone can help identify the original source of this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK-OoM628-U

This is supposed to be the arcade version of the song "Sunlit a Colony" for the Jaleco's arcade game "Earth Defense Force" from 1991. This is not the Super Famicom or SNES version of the same song. You can listen to the SNES version to hear the difference.

I've looked through all the soundtracks and collections that includes this game's music. It seems that the arcade version of Sunlit a Colony do not exist.

Neither the original arcade game nor the original soundtrack (PCCB-00058) have this stage or song included. To further verify this, the OST disc is only credited with Tsukasa Tawada. Where as "Sunlit a Colony" is composed by Yasuhiko Takashiba.

Yasuhiko Takashiba is credited in the Super E.D.F soundtrack disc (JACD-1029). However, this is the Super Famicom version, and is not the arcade version.

I've looked at many other Jaleco collections, but they either do not have the arcade version of this song, or it is the Super Famicom version.

The video's description is peculiar: Sunlit a Colony (Arcade Version) / Level 4 BGM of Super E.D.F.(SNES)

So my conclusion is someone took the Super Famicom version of the music and processed it through the Yamaha YM2151 soundchip/emulation, the soundchip used in the arcade game. There are VST plugins for this chip. There is a comment in the video that suggests this too. If that's the case, I need to learn to do this because the result is pretty spectacular and interesting.

Last edited by maxjohnson; Jul 21, 2019 at 12:52 AM.