View Single Post
Old Feb 17, 2010, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtrama View Post
Wait, what now?

iono what's goin' on here, but my Google Alerts tells me stuffs goin' on here. I haven't gotten an e-mail from you since the remixSite thread first showed up. Sorry if I missed something?

I thought the last e-mail I got was kind of a "end of conversation" e-mail. I'm kind of dumb about that stuff sometimes. I do see you were asking if I'd be interesting in helping, and I gotta tell you I don't know 2 shits about PHP, I kind of fumble my way through it, which is why I directed you elsewhere off the bat. I'm not help to anyone unless they need some fancy CSS, and I pretty much have my hands full doing all that for my 3 sites which are under CONSTANT renovation now a days.

As for INDIRECTLY helping, I link to remixSite on the mainpage of ReMix:ThaSauce, I've integrated remixSite links onto the artist master list (profiles inc...even though only like 4 people have'em right now, 1 being me), and I plan on taking the site as seriously as you guys do for as long as you do, because that's how I'd expect others to feel about me.

I would like to say though, that I have done everything I have done, by myself, and I not have asked for, nor gotten, any help from anyone at any time. Honestly, I don't really expect anyone to help me, and if no one ever does, that's fine with me. My site will grow so long as I keep taking care of it, people keep using it, and other people keep hearing about it, and I absolutely 100% fully believe that if I love my site as much as I can, and keep at it, it'll be everything I want it to be for as long as I want it to be.

That's really how you should view your site. A little acknowledgement is nice every now and then, I'll give you that; it's good to know that you have people that stand behind you in what you doing, so you know that you're not in it a lone. Because I know, sometimes it might feel like you're working on this website that just isn't going to be as big as you want it to be, but you gotta keep with it. You're doing a service for people, and so long as you keep listening to people, and giving them what they want, they WILL come.

As far as remixSite and ReMix:ThaSauce serving similar purposes, as it seems like that's what you're suggesting, you're wrong. ReMix:ThaSauce was made to serve a function similar to that of OCReMix, on purpose. I like OCReMixes format. I like songs to not have ratings, and for me to be able to control quality control. People will have their qualms, I'm sure, but it has hardly come up yet. I have no intention of ReMix:ThaSauce ever serving a similar purpose as remixSite, nor do I have any intention of building another site with a similar function. It's just not my prerogative.

I'm happy to indirectly support you guys in any way I can, and I'm happy to keep posting links and directing traffic your way. I'd appreciate it if you did the same for me, but even if not, I'll survive. I promise.

Edit: OH ONE MORE THING, if you look at the R:TS artist profiles, I've integrated a each artists' individual RSS feed (they're kind of hidden on OCR, but if you know where to look, you kind find'em). I'd LOVE to do this for any other site I can. Being able to to link to their profile is one thing, but being able to show LIVE updates is a totally other piece of awesome. Just a suggestion .

You will note that I haven't integrated remixSite's RSS into my master-mixes theme, and there's a reason for that, similar to why I don't have arrangement stream on there, and why I'm weary about having kwed on there: Given the nature of your updates, I don't really want the mainpage feed to be flooded by any 1 source, not for too long anyway. It's nothing personal :x. Individual artist feeds broken off onto their own artist pages (for me) would be GREAT though.

Dually-noted: ReMix:ThaSauce doesn't have individual artist RSS feeds yet...I know...like I said I sux at PHP gimme some time, ok? (((

Erm, gonna edit this again because, after going back and reading some of the comments in length, I think there might be a fundamental misconception of what exactly I'm doing, and why I'm doing it the way I'm doing it.

ReMix:ThaSauce was made specifically with the intention of having another site with a similar function to that of OverClocked ReMix. The principle difference between the 2 sites is that ReMix:ThaSauce accepts songs that're closer to the original source tunes, that might not have overtly stellar production, that're maybe too simple. Just songs that're still enjoyable that wouldn't necessarily make it on OverClocked ReMix. That is to say, songs submitted to R:TS DO get evaluated and songs DO get rejected. Mainly I'm looking for things to where people just really need to develop their mix more, as well as their musicianship. Or stuff that's just blatant original with drum loops over it or that kind of stuff. We have a quality control system set up, and songs RARELY go to the QC queue, it does happen from time to time. In addition, even if a song DOES go to the quality control system AND get rejected I STILL offer them a chance, if someone can present a decent case, for their to be a rejection veto. No one has ever exercised it, but the option IS THERE.

Basically what I'm trying to do with ReMix:ThaSauce is I'm trying to have a place where people can submit video game remixes that they had fun making, that other people would have fun listening to, while not alienating others. I realize some people like ratings so they can only listen to the BEST stuff and know what to not download, but I'm with DJP to where I believe every song I post SHOULD be listened to, and that's why I posted them. I believe in every mix, and every mixer on my website, and I won't give any one of them priority over anyone else. Everyone is equal. EVERYONE is special. While I do feel like people should have something to work toward, and something to strive for like getting a song on OverClocked ReMix, I also want to make sure they know that as much as they feel it is their privilege to have a song posted on ReMix:ThaSauce that it is tenfold my privilege for being chosen to share your song with others.

If ReMix:ThaSauce's function cross's over with anyone's, it's OverClocked ReMix and OverLooked ReMiX, and I'm SPECIFICALLY targeting songs that wouldn't get on OverClocked ReMix for whatever reason (which is the point). There IS some spill-over from time to time. I could care less, really. Exclusive tracks are cool to have, but the reason I MADE the site is so that I could give people a place to have their music heard. If someone has the same song on OverClocked ReMix, ReMix:ThaSauce, remixSite, and OverLooked ReMiX good for them! They're maximizing their potential! All I'm trying to do is to help artists whom, I felt, really needed a little extra push, and I think I've done a great job. This is why I wanted to make sure I have links to everyone's profile on all the sites, and why I'm in the process of sending out e-mails to collect as much information on artists as they want to share with others. This way they can get exactly the kind of recognition, for ALL their works, as they deserve. Also: I've recently become co-admin of OverLooked ReMiX as well and will be looking to do similar things there.

Anyway I hope that clears up any misconceptions. I feel very strongly that a site where anyone can upload tracks as they see fit, with ratings and the whole shabang is something necessary that the community really does need; especially with VGMix being defunct forever now. That is what I said to you when you first made your thread on OverClocked ReMix, and that's why I've continued to support what you're doing. However this is not the direction I decided to take ReMix:ThaSauce, nor is it the direction that will ever be taken.
Great! It's good to see that you stopped by, and even better that we can talk about things without immediate negative comments. If everyone were like you, the Shizz would be a better place

First, I added a new bug at http://shoemakervillage.org/mantis/view.php?id=197 dealing with the RSS feed issues. This bug shouldn't be difficult to fix, and should be available in the next release. Thanks for the suggestion. If you have any others, feel free to register an account and add more bugs to the system.

I think we both agree that people need a place to post their music without judging being required. I also agree that, like with Overclocked ReMix, this site is not in competition with ThaSauce. Overclocked ReMix differentiates itself by prejudging remixes, while ThaSauce posts remixes manually through a different process. There are merits to each type of system, and I'm really, really glad that you don't see a need for competition like I believe Overclocked ReMix has. I'm going to implement all the RSS feeds that you suggested and, when you get your feeds implemented, I'll add ThaSauce's songs to remixSite's feeds. The artist RSS feeds will be implemented by this weekend.

Most importantly, though, I was wondering if you might be interested in participating in the "experience" system as described in "Moving Forward." ThaSauce can offer exposure to artists who would like to spend experience to highlight their artist profiles on the front page. If you were to agree, people would have their profiles highlighted prominently on ThaSauce by spending remixSite experience, and you would be reimbursed in cash at whatever the current valuation of experience points is. This arrangement could encourage people to visit ThaSauce, would earn you money, would give remixSite artists more options, and would increase the value of experience points at remixSite.

We would have to wait, however, until it is proven that artists will contribute enough songs, reviews, and pay money to get enough experience into the system before implementing this. Please feel free to comment in the "moving forward" thread about the experience system if you are interested in being a part of it.