View Single Post
Old Dec 20, 2009, 04:03 PM

Now that the competition is over, I can state my opinions on the songs without influencing the results.

I think that at least half of the songs could have won the competition and nobody would have been dissatisfied at the outcome. The results were close because the songs were exceptional. I'm also not on the same side as AndreasK, and believe that public voting is just as fair as a judges panel would have been.

My favorite song was "Carystas," which did not place. I think that it fit the theme of the competition best. One of the reasons I liked it better than "Certain Uncertainty" is that it never lets up. Most of the songs had slower sections, and I didn't think those were as appropriate for a video game. For a movie, those songs would have been excellent, because the action on screen can be timed to the music. In a game, it's not possible to time the music to the player, and so I think a more homogenized sound is required. I'm curious as to what people who agree with the results have to say about why they voted the way they did.

Also interesting is that "Android," Dr. Max Fomitchev's entry, finished last. Dr. Fomitchev, as you can find out on his linked website, is an assistant professor at Penn State University. I like his music and listened to most of the pieces he has posted on his site, but I think the reason why his song performed so poorly in the competition was that it didn't fit the theme. The song had been written for another purpose and entered into the competition later, and people must have considered adherence to the theme an important factor in their votes.

Finally, I'm disappointed that dabeat was the only person who posted more than one version of her song on the site for this competition. You can clearly hear the progression of her work, and hopefully more people will use the revisions feature in the future, both in and out of competitions.