View Single Post
Old Jul 17, 2013, 05:50 PM

Actually it's sort of ironic, you mentioned the literal meaning of 213 but didn't do so for 201. But in fact, the same thinking can apply to both: in 讃歌, 讃 is praise and 歌 is song. So, it means essentially means "praise song", and "song of praise" is a listed definition for it in dictionaries. Of course I'm not saying the literal translation is always the best one, just thought I would point that out.

For 213, sometimes 圧政 (or 圧制) is used to essentially mean iron fist. Remember that "iron fist" is an idiomatic expression in our language, so the same idiom won't necessarily be said the same way in another language, because what's really being said is not the words, but the meaning. What I mean by that is, when we say "he ruled with an iron fist", we're not actually saying that while he ruled, he had a fist made of iron; we're saying he ruled with oppressive control. 圧政 or 圧制 are the characters for oppressive control, so I would be more likely to translate that to "iron fist" than I would 鉄拳, if that makes any sense. Here's an extra interesting little tidbit: 怒りの鉄拳 are the exact characters used for the title of a Bruce Lee movie, which translates all over the internet to "Fist of Fury". It becomes translation wars at a certain point.

If I may suggest my own change: for 216, 対決の時, we have "Time of Confrontation", but this is the music for the duel sequences in the game (一騎打ち in the game location description means "one-on-one fight" or "duel" like we've said). 対決 can very appropriately translate to "showdown" as well, and what it's talking about is in fact a showdown between two people. I think "The Time of the Showdown" is the best translation for it. At least, it's what I came up with back when I translated this however long ago.

While I'm here, I'll fix a grammatical error: "Matilda Knight's" is written twice for the soundtrack chapter names in our notes. This doesn't seem to be a direct transcription of badly-written English from any of the liner notes pages, since the chapter names are written in Japanese originally, so I'll remove the apostrophe.