View Single Post
Old Mar 19, 2012, 04:10 PM
Trusted Editor

I have no problem with encoder preferences or discussions therein, but everything you brought up in that post has nothing to do with the vgmdb database and everything to do with a user's personal encoding choice. That should really be moved to another thread if you want to continue it.

There's some value in adding a subcategory for the format specific information, like "SACD" as a subcategory of the CD or an RPM subcategory for vinyl, or encoder / bitrate as a subcategory for digital, but storing things like encoder settings, mode, sample rate, passthru filters used are completely worthless to pretty much everyone except the most picky of audiophiles. I cannot realistically see anyone ever coming here, looking up a digital soundtrack to a game, seeing that a soundtrack is only available in mp3 vbr and saying "Well, I'm only going to buy it if it's lossless!" and then not buying it.

It would require an extraordinary effort to gather that information about current and future releases. Someone would need to buy it (not that uncommon), then find software to analyze it, then provide the information. Some of the information may not even be available (encoder settings might not be).

What it really comes down to is it's entirely up to the content provider on how to encode it and storing that information in this database isn't going to add any value or help people make informed decisions beyond what they already care about (format, bitrate, compression).