View Single Post
Old Mar 18, 2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtrama View Post
ohai guyz

i seen da forumz post n i wuz bord so i did this lol

http://dougarley.com/design/remixSit...OfConcept.html

Really though, I didn't even know if I could actually pull off that mockup, apparently I can.

Rounded Corners Test here:
http://dougarley.com/design/remixSite/boxTest2.html

Better idea of what they're doing here:
http://dougarley.com/design/remixSite/boxTest.html

Images used are all here:
http://dougarley.com/design/remixSite/img/

The only thing that's missing is a super snazzy image for the header and the footer. I imagine something akin to the spinny measure thing that you use now, but changed. If someone can link me a big (1000x1000?) version of it, or something close to that, I could make it work. I'd just be damned if I want to try to recreate something similiar when it already exists.

You snazzy table/DIV table thing would have to be restyled too, obviously. To make the colors match really well, I could've ripped the guts out of it and recolored it myself but that would've been a LOT of work, so screw that for now.

There's probably some explaining required here but I'm drawing a blank.

I stick to my comment from my mockup about "members" thing: Members is MEMBER FUNCTIONS, Profiles is MEMBER PROFILES. That could be a bit awkward and at the very least is counter-intuitive. In my opinion, member functions should be moved to the little "you're logged in as..." block or, at the very least, hidden from the navigation unless you actually ARE logged in.

Oh, and if you're renaming the site "Game Remix" is pretty much not the greatest name ever. remixSite was a WAY better choice than that, which is why I used it in my proof of concept.

Just my 2 cents.

Total project time: 7 hours. Not bad.

Time 4 sleep. /afk

Edit: All kinds of weird errors in IE (duh) that I'll iron out lat0r. Should work fine in everything else.
Wow, that is impressive. As you said, Not bad.

A few comments:
  1. I agree with you on the issue of "members." I plan to remove that when the member isn't logged in. When a member is logged in, I'm still trying to figure out how to deal with that situation.
  2. It's interesting you comment on the name, because if you look at the Shizz history from a year ago, most criticism focused on how horrible the name is. I want to thank you for proving my point that [b]change is the significant problem when it comes to site design, not the design itself.[b] Look at the brouhaha at Overclocked ReMix when they removed the sidebar.
  3. That said, there is something to the idea that remixSite is a more unique name, and I agree with you. Despite that, I think we should still go with Game Remixes because it's easy to underestimate the effect that the gameremixes.com domain name is going to have on search engine rankings. "remixSite" will never top out in the rankings, but gameremixes.com could eventually because gameremixes.com is more logical than ocremix.org for people to start at when looking for game remixes.
  4. The image is located at svillage.mine.nu/images/circlenotext.png. A scalable vector graphics image is also available; let me know if anyone wants it.
  5. The table design definitely needs to be modified, but be warned that I was not the one who originally designed the CSS for those tables and I don't know how they work inside. This is something that's going to need to be done for sure.
  6. This design is so good that I see only two major suggestions for improvement. First, I think that the One Miguel Shaded font should be used, sparingly, to provide the site with a distinct identity. Second, the gradients in the content area of the boxes seem to be too great - the blue-to-black is noticeable. Perhaps it might be better to reduce the range of the gradient in these areas to be more subtle?

I'm going to make a complete copy of the Dev site, and create a working version of it with your design. That should only take a few hours.

We need the input of more people on this. There were 38 absolute unique visitors yesterday who went by the site; yet, only two people have offered their opinions since I posted the nearly-finished design. There needs to be ten or more opinions, from which the best or each is taken, in order to get a really great result.

Last edited by quintin3265; Mar 18, 2010 at 11:05 AM.