View Single Post
Old Jul 15, 2013, 09:51 AM
VGMdb Staff

Well it's summer so there's not much. Let's see, in terms of story...

Uchoten Kazoku is an adaptation of a novel by Tomihiko Morimi, author of The Tatami Galaxy. It is being adapted by P.A. Works, a studio known for their high quality art. The director is Masayuki Yoshihara, who has been very involved with Kenji Kamiyama's work serving as assistant director for Eden of the East and an episode director for the Ghost in the Shell series. It's interesting so far and I'm wondering where it will go.

Silver Spoon is an adaptation of a shounen manga by Hiromu Arakawa, creator of Fullmetal Alchemist. It is being adapted by A-1 Pictures, a studio with a history of subpar manga adaptations. The director is Tomohiko Ito, a former employee of Madhouse who last directed Sword Art Online. It's quite different from Arakawa's previous works in that it isn't action focused. It's a slice of life series set at an agricultural high school. The manga has been well received, winning both the 58th Shogakukan Manga Award and the 5th Manga Taisho Award. I have not watched this yet.

Gatchaman Crowds is the latest show from director Kenji Nakamura (Mononoke, C, Tsuritama). He's a director with some neat ideas and known for his interesting art styles. His previous shows have all been pretty good so I'm looking forward to see what he does with Gatchaman. The first episode was very entertaining but the story (being written by Tsuritama's Toshiya Ono) is anyone's guess at this point. Both the art style and main character are very colorful.