Thread: Modern day VGM
View Single Post
Old Apr 12, 2014, 12:36 AM

Default Modern day VGM

For me personally this genre is in massive decline, I very very rarely buy any vgm anymore and especially those albums released in the last 1 or 2 years. Why is this I ask? Maybe I am getting old and set in my ways, maybe my childhood memories and nostalgic feelings cloud my judgement. I am a heavy gamer, I play games pretty much every day, it is arguably my biggest passion other than football. The soundtracks these days don't have the charm they used to, they are too much like movie soundtracks in my opinion. I pretty much pick them up and discard them, they don't stick with me like Final Fantasies of old, Zelda, Skies of Arcadia, Super Contra, now those are classics to name a few. Even Nintendo release nothing anymore except the same regurgitated promos of crappy Kirby music, wave race etc. Just rambling really, I frequent the site regularly but in all honesty my passion is dwindling. I have a bookshelf with 250 albums, thousands of pounds worth and to be honest I hardly even touch them anymore. Maybe there isn't the money in the genre anymore and the investments are less, hence the poor output to your ear. VGM isn't just about how it sounds, it's about how it makes you think and feel when listening to it. I don't believe the same heart and soul goes into it anymore. Yes there are exceptions and yes I have lumped everything together under one group, but as a mass it is poor these days. No need for this thread, just decided to type.