Thread: Modern day VGM
View Single Post
Old Apr 12, 2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyblunder View Post
crappy Kirby music
What is this? I was unaware crappy Kirby music existed.

I'm not a huge consumer of brand new game music as I tend to buy secondhand much more often than new and I'm still trying to work my way through a lot of the old stuff so I can't necessarily speak too much about this. But I know there was always mediocre game music and with time it often fades and the good stuff remains in memory, tending to skew the perception of the past. I also know there have been many modern classics judging by their reception in places like here. Ni no Kuni, Nier, Bravely Default, Gravity Daze, the Monster Hunter series, new Final Fantasy soundtracks seem to continue to be applauded, the Atelier series and its associated things, the Guilty Gear series seems to have a number of fans here, and more. I know I continue to love most of what Hitoshi Sakimoto does, like Valkyria Chronicles and RIZ-ZOAWD. Lord of Vermilion II was an instant classic to me.

So I'm not terribly pessimistic. A lot of the great music of today is still being made by people who were around 20 years ago, but new talents do spring up too. I'm happy to see there's a growing emphasis on melody in Western games, indies in particular (not that they all have good music, but the attitude towards music is more favorable to me). Also, as games get more movie-like, there's also a group who push back against that to try to create experiences only games can give rather than imitating Hollywood. A lot of people who grew up with catchy game music want to make catchy game music or put it in their game. I'm happy about that and someday I'll get enough music from the modern era to be able to make an assessment of how it really is now.