View Single Post
Old May 1, 2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megavolt View Post
He's still overrated, though. Just perhaps not "the most", I suppose. People are so enamored with his style that they think other notable composers don't measure up somehow. It's been a long time since I've debated these things on message boards, however. Maybe people aren't as exceedingly high on him as they used to be.

All that being said, I can't deny the man's talent for making music that just sounds good. Soft, lush, and pretty would all apply to Chrono Cross in particular. I just don't always find soft, lush, and pretty to be the most engaging or resonant sort of music. But it does sound good.
It's far more than just soft, lush, or pretty. Mitsuda has a unique flair for polyrhythm, timbre, and harmony, along with a taste for surprising contrasts of texture/melody/key, that set him apart from pretty much everyone else in VGM. And while some other composers have continued to write more or less the same thing repeatedly (not always their fault, as sometimes producers request this), Mitsuda has proven his versatility and ability to develop.