View Single Post
Old Aug 5, 2010, 06:04 AM

I always, always put the original composer in the artist field.

If there is an arranger, like Lunar I look at the content. If the arrangement is a significant reworking of the original material, such as in FFX, I tag the artist field with the arranger first, comma, then composer. Whereas if it's more like a traditional arrangement (such as for a new game or for live performance, i.e. piano, orchestra, etc.), composer comes first, following by "arr. arranger's name" as is standard when reading sheet music. For example...

Final Fantasy X - The Sight of Spira looks like...
Quote:
Artist:
Masashi Hamauzu, Nobuo Uematsu
Final Fantasy VIII FITHOS LUSEC WECOS VINOSEC - Blue Fields looks like...
Quote:
Artist:
Nobuo Uematsu, arr. Shiro Hamaguchi
Final Fantasy XII - Chocobo -FFXII Version- looks like...
Quote:
Artist:
Nobuo Uematsu, arr. Hitoshi Sakimoto
Final Fantasy XIII - Cocoon de Chocobo -Let's Have A Dream II- looks like...
Quote:
Artist:
Masashi Hamauzu, Nobuo Uematsu, arr. Ryo Yamazaki
You get the idea.

I NEVER put the performer, vocalist or otherwise, in the artist field. That information gets put in the comments section for me. I rarely fill out the "original composed by" part since I always have the original composer in the artist field. The reason is, that's the first thing one sees for credit for an audio file, and to me it's important for the original composer to always be visible even if it's an arrangement.

I even do this with classical music where it's far more traditional to fill the artist field with the performer (i.e., Warsaw Philharmoic Orchestra and Chorus, North Texas Wind Ensemble, Gothenburg Brass Band, Walter Gieseking, etc.)

One credit that I will typically ignore is orchestrator when I feel that the orchestration itself is merely the adaptation of material that is already "orchestrated". Like, if someone were to take an orchestral MIDI and transcribe it note by note to paper, I would not list that person as an arranger. If, on the other hand, it's like Hamaguchi's arrangements for the FF piano collections or orchestra albums, he would be listed as arranger because there is clearly added/modified material from the original composition.

So, yeah. In some form or another, the composer always ends up somewhere in the artist tag on my files.