View Single Post
Old Aug 10, 2010, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkthunder84 View Post
When a singer covers a song on their album, for instance, Madonna's version of "American Pie", it seems completely logical to say that Madonna is the "artist". That's how I think of an arranged track on a soundtrack - a cover version of another song.
This reminds me of a similar question I added input to back in May. I even answered very similarly:

Quote:
As for listing composer vs. arranger, etc, I like to list the arranger over the composer and here's why: the arranger is responsible for why a song sounds a certain way. For example, are we going to credit Nobuo Uematsu for every version of the Final Fantasy Victory Fanfare even if he played no part in the way it sounds in the newer Final Fantasy games? Those credits should go out to who "covered" them so to speak (like giving Hitoshi Sakimoto credit for the version in Final Fantasy XII), and like Ira said you can always put Nobuo's name in the composer filed (versus the artist field). Otherwise it's like crediting Britney Spears for the cover of "Oops I Did It Again" that Children of Bodom did.
Obviously, there isn't a "right" way to fill the artist field because it depends on your interpretation of what the "artist" of a song is. Even when a game's soundtrack has only one sole composer, there are sometimes other people involved in making the music sound just the way it is. But the easiest thing for me to say is that I always put the arranger in the "artist" field rather than a composer.

Last edited by Medina; Aug 10, 2010 at 04:07 AM.