View Single Post
Old May 31, 2020, 10:09 AM

Default Final Fantasy VII Remake OST listening party -- Live on Twitch this Thursday, June 4!

watch replay on Twitch!
watch replay on Youtube!

This is an idea that's been stewing for a while, and I'm finally making it happen!

I will be hosting a "listening party" for the hotly-received FF7 Remake OST this Thursday, June 4, at 7:00 PM CDT.

This is as much of a response to the current state of the world than wanting to talk about VGM. I'm a teacher, so 99% of my online, live video sessions over the last two and a half months have been highly focused and highly structured. This "listening party" is much more relaxed, giving me the breather I need while also letting me gush about VGM. A few notes about how it will go:
  • We will go through each track, one-by-one, in order!
  • Sorry--but spoilers will inevitably come up. I've just beaten the game this past week so I know the flow of the scenario. If it comes up I will give warnings!! But chat, please be gentle.
  • The actual music volume via stream will obviously be very low... gotta keep it legal. I invite you listen along with me!
  • After each track, we chat and do some light (or heavy...?) analysis... I have no idea how deep this rabbit hole will go, and that's part of the fun!
  • I will be opening some tracks in Audacity to get a better listen to certain parts, those will be amped in volume a little (small clips shouldn't be an issue)
  • What I talk about won't be tailored with a specific audience in mind... there will be some technical music talk, but it won't turn into a lecture (...hopefully...)
  • I'm also 100% going to answer your questions in chat! They can be as technical or general as you like, I'll do my best to answer. We're a friendly stream
  • This goes both ways, I might have questions I don't know the answers to... I know how most of the music fits the game, for example, but I know I won't remember all of it!
  • Family-friendly (barring anything specific about FF7's scenario)
  • Probably will last about two hours or more depending on how much I can stand. Obviously this is not even close to enough time to get through the whole OST... this party will be stretched over multiple sessions!!
  • I realize the 7:00 CDT time is not very friendly to anywhere outside the Americas, it's the best I could do with my own work schedule... but fear not, I plan to do international-friendly streams on the weekends, and certainly more in the summer (since I'm obviously not going to be teaching summer school...)

And now a few notes about the channel in general:
  • This channel will continue to be a place where I host live discussions and analysis of VGM
  • ^the above includes listening parties, composer-focused sessions (e.g. "The History of Nobuo Uematsu" or something), VGM composition/production/arrangement/orchestration, genre-focused sessions (e.g., all JRPG music, all orchestral music, etc.), soundtrack composer credit breakdown discussion, and many more.
  • The shape of the stream will continue to evolve... I'll host some polls about time and content preferences
  • Everything will be output to Youtube so if you can't make the stream you can watch it later

The Twitch channel can be found here. I will be making attempts to beautify it over the next few weeks... maybe...

I hope to see you all there!!

Last edited by Jormungand; Jun 5, 2020 at 04:26 AM.