View Single Post
Old Jul 14, 2019, 11:06 AM

I'm a bit confused about this release in a few ways. Well, more like the game.

I was trying to watch videos on YouTube to get context for the various pieces on this disc, but I have to ask an obvious question. Am I the only one who thinks the audio mixing in this game is absolutely dreadful? I'm not talking about the music in itself or the sound effects in themselves, but when you're playing the game and the music and SFX are playing simultaneously it sounds like one, big horrible mess to me. I honestly don't know how your meant to get into the music in the game when it is just so obscured. Is this just an issue with YouTube videos or is this the case with the game in person?

I just don't understand, the music in the Saturn games never bowed to such an issue, everything seemed to be in good balance. Hell, there is so much going on I can't even hear what piece of music is being used in the game's first boss battle. Is it even on the soundtrack? Is it on the soundtrack but with a different opening because it seems the cut-scene right before it uses the same track. Jeepers, I have so many questions.

I'm just starting to explore this album, but yikes, I don't even know how you could begin to appreciate what's here without taking it outside the scope of the game and isolating it a little from its in-game environment. I'm not saying the context ISN'T important, it is, but hearing it in-context with all the SFX is FAR from an optimal experience.