View Single Post
Old Dec 23, 2009, 07:07 AM

Quote:
And I think you're underestimating the skill that goes into any level of production. I use pretty high-end mixing and mastering plugins, yes, but I can assure you that if you gave those to someone without skill, I could produce a much more professional track with free VSTs online.
Well, I wouldn't say that exactly, I grock the amount of skill it takes to become a good producer (believe me, I'm still on that struggling path) but I think it's a different skill to being a composer and most of what professional VSTs are trying to do is remove the necessity to be a good producer in order to release good music. People go to college to learn how to produce music and sound, but not everyone has the time to do that. I'd rather focus on the writing and learn the production over time or let someone else produce it for me. Even with the skills you have, I think it would be hard to reach a Hollywood orchestra sound or London Symphony sound without the samples, so in terms of creating a classical piece, production has less and less to do with it the better the VSTs become. Even in electronic music, using FM8 is gonna make things much, much easier and reduce the amount of knowledge required in production to create a piece of music that sounds good, so in Dabeat's case anyway (I know I keep going back to that, sorry) I didn't think production is something the track should be voted as harshly on, if that makes sense? If I were to use original midi like I first learned to compose my tracks on, I'd find it very hard to win a competition no matter how good my writing was or production was. Take that same track and run it through East West or something and it's a million times better received.

But that was the perspective I was looking at this from, that we were talking about the writing and not so much the production and it's clear I was wrong in that, as Warp said
Quote:
The song is supposed to be used in the game, so it's gotta be ready to drop in.
and I forgot that so I guess I have a moot point. ^_^;

So don't get me wrong, I do understand how much skill it takes to produce something. I guess I just don't like the idea of people seeing that as MORE important than how much skill it takes to write a beautiful piece of music and just how long and hard a road that is as well.

I admit defeat in this debate, but I hope you see where I was coming from at least.