View Single Post
Old Jan 9, 2019, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
The presence of theme and motive by itself does not make a soundtrack less typical than others. I'm not sure what you're point is. If you're comparing it to the quality of FF6, that's a surprising position I would be interested in hearing you defend.

Judging by the tracklist, I've already heard the majority of the OST--all the way through track 11 of disc 2. So unless those remaining 8 tracks are legendarily life-changing, I feel safe in betting that Revo's style doesn't suddenly change at the 80% mark. I've about had my fill of the same three underbaked dungeon themes, the formulaic battle themes, and the embarrassingly cliche world map theme, not to mention the other, even less remarkable BGM.
Well, both FFVI and BD are a couple of my favorite game OSTs ever, so yes I would compare them.

One thing to consider about BD -- just look at the game itself. Despite having a new (and fantastic) take on the traditional turn based system, along with a lot of QoL implimentations (many of which were NOT in the original release, mind you) it's still in general a throwback to older days of the genre. So it makes a lot of sense that the soundtrack harkens back to that as well.
But at the same time, it's an extremely unified whole...I like to use the word 'organic'. Sure some of this is just Revo's general style but it really all sounds like each piece is part of the same whole.
Plus there's a lot going on in the music under the surface -- a good for instance is that each character is represented by an instrument in their theme (played when you do a special attacki) that fits with them. The asterisk battle (the aformentioned 'He of the Name') actually subtly has the main theme of the game in the melody. The final battle does....some very interesting stuff (covered in the video above). Hell even the fanfare in the victory music is derived from the main theme.
And just in general....the whole thing is brimming with catchy memorable melodies.
If you don't like it, that's different, but it;s hardly a slapped together mundane work here (that's for the sequal.....curious what you think of that if you play it).