View Single Post
Old Aug 25, 2009, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanasea View Post
It's injustice. Like when the soundtrack for SO4 is rated 4.19 when I consider it is utter crap. I guess you would object to the 4.42 rating for Subarashiki Kono Sekai as well. Maybe we should not really worry about the ratings! When each album have hundreds of votes, the system will probably have more significance.
Well, I think this reflects a completely different phenomenon -- the tendency for most people to vote 4.5 or 5 for near-enough everything. I personally don't understand why some people are so totally uncritical, so it's refreshing when I see ratings like yours, Carl's, or Kaleb's, even if I don't always agree with them. I personally gave Subarashiki a 6 as it's not that bad. If anything, I think I lean towards generosity when reviewing or rating albums these days, but still try to always consider value for money. But compared to some members, I feel like a scrooge.

In terms of bias, my only major concern was that influx of 0.5 ratings for Koichi Sugiyama albums, many of them so rare that the person who rated them probably never listened. But I guess it's not worth taking seriously and an attempt to moderate them could be viewed as biased in itself.

Quote:
I personally think Overclocked Remix albums are pretty hit-or-miss. But I really value their most impressive contributions. There are some fantastic remixes in Voices of the Lifestream, Thieves of Fate and Summoning of Spirits!
This is relatively similar to me. There are some real jewels in the remix colelctions and I appreciate their tendency to be creative and diverse as a whole. My main criticisms are that I think some albums could have done with a more discriminatory track selection so that mediocre or unfitting remixes were rejected (Blood on the Asphalt is a good example). In addition, I would sometimes like to hear a bit more theoretical grounding from the arrangers, for example with their piano work. I'm not really an OC Remix fanboy, but I still think they're worthy or a lot of credit and commend them for all their efforts.

Last edited by Chris; Aug 25, 2009 at 02:01 AM.