View Single Post
Old Mar 28, 2011, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaleon64 View Post
No, that means that over half of Japan isn't interested in buying CD's is what that means.

And half of a country in turmoil also doesn't guarantee the other half isn't affected in some way by it. If New York suddenly sank into the ocean I know for dang sure I'd suspend my own personal frivolous spending to try to help, maybe that's just me.
If this were true, people wouldn't be buying this exact CD post-disaster. Taken from above:

4,280 円 / 1個 / 3月 21日 23時 40分
3,610 円 / 1個 / 3月 21日 23時 33分
3,301 円 / 1個 / 3月 20日 4時 53分
2,500 円 / 1個 / 3月 21日 13時 59分
1,100 円 / 1個 / 3月 16日 0時 19分

Month/Day/Hour/Minute.

I assume this is a bidding list for a single auction. These are all Japanese Yahoo! Japan auction bidders bidding post-disaster. Life goes on.

Quote:
And according to economics 101, if this CD sold for $200 in the US recently than the most current market value of the CD is... $200. And sellers on THIS VERY SITE have this CD listed at $300. I know cause I asked him. So outside of eBay this CD is apparently worth something to someone. I've also spoken with members here and I've been told that in 2001 someone lost an auction and he bid $450.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl
Market values are all about the time frame, ask any stock trader...
Quote:
If eBay is the only place to find an item for sale than eBay is a damn fine way to determine what the market value is, scalpers or not. If it sells, you know the value regardless of how said value is found.
Put it like this. If someone purchases a 1984 Ford Mustang for $20,000 USD this very minute, does that set the market value? No, it just means somebody paid way too much for something that's readily available elsewhere, for cheaper. The same situation applies here.

I don't know why you'd defend this price unless you've overpaid, or are actually the eBay auctioneer himself. Regardless, your understanding of current market value is incredibly flawed. You can't dismiss foreign sales of foreign goods, especially not on a site which caters to them.