View Single Post
Old Aug 15, 2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldfishX
When I say "naturally", I mean in the sense that I do not need to process Wavegain adjustments.
The meaning of "natural" is becoming more bizarre every day. It used to be that people would complain doubletracking was unnatural. Then it was drum reverb, and now it's autotune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldfishX
I think dynamics are a necessary part of all music. With no soft, there can be no loud. I agree, the graph you presented is very nice and those peaks mean a lot more when they are scarcely used. But I think having those type of dynamics (although not to THAT extreme) is just as important in rock music as well. Might not be as clean cut as your example, but having those dynamics in place make the music much more exciting.
Definitely. But, dynamic range compression affects a different kind of dynamics than the obvious ones shown there. The differences in dynamics between parts of a song or track are not necessarily changed, and some quite compressed songs retain those kinds of macro dynamics. It's the differences between more or less simultaneous sounds (to the perceiver) that are ironed out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldfishX View Post
From the sound of things, you just sound like you listen to a wider variety of music than me. Probably about 85% of my listening is either chiptunes, synthpop, 80's style pop/j-pop or classic hard rock/heavy metal or some combination of them, with the 15% being classical or whatever I get thrown within the context of a VGM album.
I listen to lots of kinds of VGM, although electronica/techno and their related genres are not really my thing either. Aside from that, Classical music (of all genres and time periods, but particularly late Romantic/early Modernist music from 1880-1920), classic rock, progressive rock, folk, film scores (Williams, Herrmann, and Goldsmith), and jazz (especially bebop and fusion). I will listen to the occasional contemporary rock album if it is recommended by a friend whose taste I trust. Genres I generally avoid are contemporary pop, rap, smooth "elevator music" jazz, country, and dance music of most kinds, although there may be exceptions to any of these.