View Single Post
Old Mar 14, 2016, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGMRMissCoriel View Post
silver is discontinued it seems and the rest is $500-$1000 DX
I guess i will keep going as is x3.
It's a shame they discontinued Silver; it was a more affordable (though still ~$400) alternative to the more complete libraries. Then again, I've been using it for a few years without feeling the need to upgrade, so maybe I'm part of the reason they discontinued it. :-P

As a long-time band geek, poor samples in an orchestral mix are really a dealbreaker for me. There MUST be some reasonable, cheaper alternatives out there if you want to delve more deeply into orchestral work. I've heard some praise for Project SAM Orchestral Essentials but that's still $349.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz Paladin View Post
I'd consider getting East West, but it can be a royal pain using large sample libraries with multiple articulations...

Personally, I am waiting for physical modeling technology to replace it...in some cases, it is already far better. If and when samplemodeling.com comes out with a string section, I think string samples may end up dead...

Check out their trumpet library for example...unbelievable...if they can do that with strings I'll be stoked.
A pain, yes, though keyswitching definitely helps a lot. I'd much rather be able to tap at my keyboard naturally and have the VST produce the appropriate articulation and timbre based on velocity and envelope settings. Perhaps physical modeling could fit the bill in the future (nice trumpet sound indeed!).

It sounds computationally intensive though; do you know if it's feasible to have dozens of such physically modeled instruments running simultaneously on one decently powered PC? If not, we may need to wait for computing power to catch up with the demands of the technology, or otherwise render individual tracks one-at-a-time (also a pain).

Last edited by docnano; Mar 14, 2016 at 04:44 AM.