Thread: Question ..
View Single Post
Old May 20, 2009, 07:13 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Default Question ..

I think vgmdb should definitely write/publish a FAQ regarding how to "correctly" enter an album into the database.. i still have myself some questions that could need clear answers.

Regarding Platform

Should we attach an album to platform regarding the release date.. ?
(let say an album released in 1998 can't be normally related to PSP.. -until they reused the music in it ?-)

For example i'll take my recent discussion about Legend of Heroes III Electric Orchestra.
The album was released on 2001, it can't be related to PSP since the PSP game were released in 2004.

Matter is.. i could say the same for the NEC-98 as it's too old.. BUT it's an arrange album.. so we "could" say it's related to every versions.. ?

What if it's clearly an "original soundtrack" and not an arrange album.
What about dramas? (that could be difficulty attached to a particular game)

Regarding --Display-- Titles/Translation

I am often confused how some albums are titled cause they either are translated or romanized, or sometimes they are converted with their US/Euro titles while it's a japanese album...

example:

Ultimate Warriors Dadandarn
It's a litteral translation.. googling for it will result in few website talking about the album entered on vgmdb, but you will not find info/screens about the game.
While googling for Kyukyoku Sentai Dadandarn will find infos/screens for the game, it's a romazination, but that's the most known title.
I know we can enter 3 or 4 different titles for the album, but i am talking about the "display" one..

Or then should we translate "Garou Densetsu" to "Legend of the Hungry Wolf" ? Doukyuusei should be Classmates..

We traducted "Justice Gakuen" to Justice High School.. but we don't translate Choujin Gakuen Gowcaizer ?

We translated "Choaniki - The Ultimate, Invincible, Most Galactically Powerful Man" but not "Aniki no Subete (that should mean "All about Aniki") ?

Houkago Renai Club should be Casual Romance Club ?

We have 1 Animal Crossing while it should be Animal Forest ?

We have both Hajuku Eiyuu and Hanjuko Hero..

These are just a few, but there's plenty more.

Thanks.
I know i sometimes can have boring questions... but i am just a damn perfectionist.

As a bonus question and just to debate about it, do you usually call you albums the "romazined" way ? the literate translation way ? or just the name under you know the game ?
(an example could be the 3 different names for Fatal Frame 2 / Project Zero 2 / Zero: Akai Cho )

Last edited by Myrkul; May 20, 2009 at 07:17 AM.