View Single Post
Old Mar 9, 2010, 09:55 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyubihanyou View Post
I would have to disagree greatly with your treatment of DX Orchestra Concert (and, by extension, other compilation albums). Only Shogo Sakai and Hirokazu Ando should be non-featured composers as they composed [at least] the opening and menu 1 themes, respectively. Everything else was arranged by either Shogo Sakai, Hirokazu Ando, or Tadashi Ikegami [Takuto Kitsuta's arrangement, Mute City, not being on there, nor a SE collection courtesey of Tadashi Ikegami].
Here's the credits for proof of their duties:
http://www.themushroomkingdom.net/ss...its-full.shtml

Everyone else should be featured because their works is, in fact, being showcased through the efforts of the HAL Laboratory music staff. They, themselves, had no part in composing or arranging the music, so they should not be on the same level as Shogo Sakai and Hirokazu Ando.

I think this is an example of number 3, as the many Nintendo composers are letting their work be arranged by HAL, just as Disney let its music be arranged by Squaresoft. This, of course, applies to the other Smash Bros. titles as well.
I appreciate your extensive research about Super Smash Bros. Melee and agree that all composers didn't participate with new compositions, except Shogo Sakai and Hirokazu Ando. However, like Secret Squirrel said, it is interesting to keep these albums in regular discography.

If we follow this criterion, all composers in arranged albums should be marked as "featured", which I don't think is good. What is the difference between Dairantou Smash Brothers DX Orchestra Concert and Game Music Concert series? Both albums contains Nintendo orchestrated tracks in the same way. For example, in the first The Black Mages album, Nobuo Uematsu should be marked as featured because there is no new music from him on this, but I suppose that fans want to see it in regular discography.

In the case of the Disney / Squaresoft is different because the songs were originally composed for movies. It's the same as the Ennio Morricone in MGS4, since "Here's to You" is a song originally composed for "Sacco and Vanzetti" movie.

For me, the ideal basically would be something like this for the third topic. I'm still in doubt with the songs of anime in games and vice-versa, but I find it interesting to keep especially in cases where the same franchise as the Dag said (which is not the case of Super Robot Taisen):

Movie composition -> game soundtrack (featured discography)
Original work -> game soundtrack (featured discography)
Anime composition -> game soundtrack (regular discography)
Game composition -> anime soundtrack (regular discography)
Reprise -> game original soundtrack (regular discography)
Game composition -> official game arranged soundtrack with or whithout the involvement of the composer (regular discography)

Moreover, I agree that every album should be considered on a case by case basis, especially for albums like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post
Then just separate the discographies in several lists, like "featured on - reused music" and "featured on - doujins" (since there are so many of them they deserve their own list) or such.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post
You can already tell what kind of release it is by the color, not hard to skim through and see.
I find this idea interesting, as the Cedille had commented before. But the category filter would be interesting in artists discographies too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedille View Post
I agree we can handle this on a case by case basis, but I'm personally not a big fan of using 'Involvement' as the standard, because this kind of information is hard for us to get, and even if available, how to treat it is still very subjective. More importantly, I'm not a big fan of seeing one official release on the artist's main discography and the other official release on the featured on discography with Doujin albums, when both albums seemingly has no new composition from the composer anyway.
You said exactly what I think about this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedille View Post
It's obvious the classic composers aren't involved in any VGM releases, but only a fine line exists between being dead and being retired. I can swear Yasunori Shiono isn't involved in Estpolis Original Soundtrack because Shiono had already retired and he and his wife even didn't know about the announcement of the remake until they were told by his fan. I think we can prepare another rationale on why classic composers have to be set to 'featured' (e.g. from the other genre) other than because they passed away long ago (although I know some people have problem with subsequent additions to the dead composer's discography having after the death).
Very interesting. In the case of classical composers, perhaps the featured option could be allowed because most of compositions are in the public domain. But I agree that it is discussable. For example, why in The Millennium of Beethoven, Beethoven isn't listed as featured like the other albums? Finally, a interesting case is this Kiniro no Corda album because contains licensed music from a collection of classical music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datschge View Post
As discussed elsewhere before I think the whole issue is best solved once there is per track credits as well as being able to set tracks as being original or arranged (linking to the original). Then the whole composing, arranging, featuring credits of albums can be generated based on that.
It sure would be interesting and much more accurate.