View Single Post
Old Oct 31, 2015, 06:33 AM

Unofficial breakdown

First, I'm assuming that the composers are indeed Hayato Sonoda, Wataru Ishibashi, and Takahide Murayama. I am also assuming that Yukihiro Jindo had no involvement in the composition (though the role would probably be clarified if we knew of any PSP-exclusive music).

Second, there are two principal themes in the score. I'll list each, and which tracks they show up in:
1) The "Main Theme", aka "The Whereabouts of Light"
Disc 1 Track 01, 1.02, 2.20, 2.21, 2.23, 2.24, 2.25, 2.26

2) I've nicknamed this one "The Theme of Everything" (TTOE). It shows up during scenes related to the ancient ruins and secret society.
1.01, 1.08, 1.31 (major key, kind of tongue in cheek really), 2.04, 2.08 (passing reference), 2.15, 2.16, 2.17

There are also some minor themes/motifs that recur:
a) the Royal Castle (2.12) is arranged/referenced in 1.15, 1.27, 2.12
b) the intro of 1.29 is from 1.20 (boss theme)
c) 2.01, 2.07, 2.17, and 2.19 share motifs

Third, this time my breakdown is focused on groups rather than individual tracks or themes. I believe the three composers could have fluidly arranged each other's work. I have no idea who composed each theme. Complicating matters, TTOE shows up in later Trails games. I don't know if the main theme does. This is only an issue because, of the three composers of FC, only Sonoda has continued composing for the series. He could very well be the original composer of the theme, but then again, it could just be that it's a theme now owned by Falcom. Shrug. It would be interesting to know if these themes originated in earlier LOH games, whose scores I have not listened to yet.

Group A (main theme and misc. stuff--no clue on the composer, but the arrangement for many suggests Ishibashi)
1.01 Sora no Kiseki (Has Main theme and TTOE. Arrangement style is very sophisticated, so probably the Group D composer.)
1.02 Whereabouts of the Stars - Harmonica Short Ver. (probably Ishibashi)
1.22 The Disappearing Star
2.20 Whereabouts of the Stars - Harmonica Long Ver. (probably Ishibashi)
2.21 Confession (probably Ishibashi)
2.23 Whereabouts of the Stars (almost certainly Ishibashi)
2.24 I Feel Like I could Dance with the Wind (probably Group D composer)
2.25 Whereabouts of the Stars Full Ver.
2.26 Whereabouts of the Stars Full Ver. (Less Vocals)

Group B (almost certainly Hayato Sonoda based on what we know of his work in other OSTs--thank you Falcom experts for your insights in other threads)
1.07 Defeat!!
1.10 A Cat Relaxing in the Sun
1.12 In my Heart
1.13 How to Walk in Liberl (actually unsure on this one, thoughts?)
1.14 Commercial City of Bose
1.15 It's not Easy to Guard the Borderline
1.19 We are the Capua Family!
1.20 To be Suggestive (boss theme. I struggle with this one because it's got hints of the other battle themes, but it's just different enough. Thoughts?)
1.24-1.31 (These are the event BGM that play during the play. Falcom was clever with this, having a single calliope-like keyboard instrument play the incidental music which was/is pretty common accompaniment for low-budget stage work)
1.33 Pride of Liberl (Royal Castle arrangement)
2.01 Creeping Crisis
2.04 Black Orbment
2.07 Engaged People in Secret Manuevers
2.10 Gran Arena
2.12 Royal Castle
2.13 Recapture
2.16 Ancient Makes
2.17 Those Who Protected Their Greatest Treasure
2.19 Release from the Spell, and...

Group C (Probably Wataru Ishibashi based on what we know about his work.)
1.32 Don't Let Him Go!
2.03 Studio City of Zeiss
2.11 Gran Arena
2.14 Silver Will
2.15 The Fading Light of the Sealed Land

Group D (This composer has a striking style--very crisp, sophisticated arrangement; great sequencing technique, very natural, not so tightly quantized (like Sonoda), skilled used of velocity; harmony, instrumentation, and voicing very rich and colorful. I'm certain the same person composed all of what's listed below. Though it's certainly NOT Sonoda, it could very well be Ishibashi. The Ishibashi tracks of Group C are in a very distinct style, but doesn't necessarily mean Ishibashi isn't the Group D composer. Then again, we know next to nothing about Murayama. The process of elimination would tell us that he is the one. It's interesting to note that this group contains almost all the field and dungeon themes and 3 of 5 town themes.)
1.03 The Byway of Departure
1.04 Provincial City of Rolent
1.05 Rock on the Road
1.06 Sophisticated Fight
1.08 Tower of the Four Wheels (uses TTOE theme)
1.09 Under the Moonlight
1.11 Secret Green Passage
1.18 The Steel Floor Blocking the Way
1.21 Pinch!!
1.23 Seaport City of Ruan
2.02 Wandering in the Darkness
2.05 Peace Given by Darkness
2.06 Leiston Fortress
2.08 Capital City Grancell
2.17 Let's be Lively
2.22 Decision to Leave

Group E (still undecided)
1.16 Amber Love - Hum Ver. and 1.17 Lute Ver. (Not related to main theme, but donNote that the guitar is very realistically sequenced.)
2.09 Amber Love - Piano Ver.

On a personal note, I just have to know who the Group D composer is. He is amazing. It's definitely not Sonoda, and unfortunately he is the only one of the trio who continued to compose for the series. I'm not looking forward to SC's soundtrack nearly as much knowing that whoever this extremely talented composer is, he's not involved.