View Single Post
Old Dec 24, 2012, 05:44 PM

Turrican Soundtrack Anthology Holiday Update‏, (I got this in an email today from Chris/Turrican Project.)

Hi Everyone,

First of all, I would like to apologize for the slow update schedule. I have been very busy working on the music and I wanted this update to be big and special (for the holidays). I have some very exciting things to talk about and show you!

I want to start off, however, with the tough part of this update: I’m working on the schedule and looking diligently at all the aspects of getting this project into a shippable state. Unfortunately, it looks as though it may still take a while. In all honesty, I underestimated the scope of the Turrican Soundtrack Anthology and it was naive to think that I could run my sound production company on the side as usual, and not upfront disclose to you some projects that I had already started last year (which also took longer than planned or -in case of one project- are actually still ongoing, albeit not taking up a lot of my time at this point) and even taking on some smaller projects, while finishing up TSA. I totally misjudged the depth of these in conjunction to the work that was necessary to complete TSA and I am very sorry about that and want to get back on track. From this point forward, I promise to you that I will not to take on any new projects until the music for TSA is done! I also now have a much better understanding of how long other items on the list will take to complete. Working on the music is of course taking up the bulk of my time (especially in terms of the quality that I am aiming for), but looking at everything else that still needs to be done before we can ship - sometimes it feels like this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNFMPhKIZXg

Because of the complexity of all the rewards and the fact that I don’t want to promise another ship date without a buffer for unexpected problems, I’d now like to complete manufacturing and ship everything out no later than June (but still aiming for as soon as possible, of course). Please keep in mind, the music will be finished quite a bit before that time and there will be downloads of the final tracks available after they are mastered and ready for CD manufacturing, so you will get the music definitely earlier. I would like to ask kindly for your patience and support to get this project done right.
For the music, I have prepared a preview megamix as a download for everyone, showing off a lot of Turrican 1 and 2 music. The progress on the pieces as well as the production of the music as a whole is finally going really well now, with Turrican 1 and 2 almost completely recorded. I will actually start recording the first Turrican 3 tracks before the year ends.

Another exciting announcement is that fellow game musician Allister Brimble (well known for his Amiga classics with Team17) -who is currently running his own Kickstarter project- will create a special arrangement for our 4th CD! Additionally, I will be producing one of his popular game tracks later next year. Please check out his campaign, which is still active for another week:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...he-amiga-works

Update on the music boxes: We are in the process of getting a video of the prototype for all backers to enjoy, but despite our best efforts, by the time of the update it was not yet ready. However, as soon as I have it, I will post the link here. Keep in mind that these boxes are handcrafted, individually assembled and tuned, which makes them something special that couldn’t be rushed.

The next item is the art. We now have received finished art pieces from our main artist Halil Ural and they turned out amazing, which is why the video contains some preview shots showing how the work progressed. We are still looking at how to present the art on the CD Box, but the source material is really stunning and gives us a number of exciting options.

There’s also a sneak peek into how the documentary video will look like, with some selected scenes from the concert day, autograph session with fans and, of course, the backer party.

Finally, I also want to get back into the monthly update schedule, so stay tuned for more news in about 4 weeks.

-Chris