View Single Post
Old Apr 20, 2010, 07:59 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
Working from these definitions for a moment, does this mean that if a famous composer self-publishes a game soundtrack, that it would be listed as Doujin/Indie? This would definitely create some confusion.
That would indeed be confusing. But it could still be labeled Commercial as long as the soundtrack isn't given away for free, no? I guess this is one problem with calling it 'Commercial' over the old 'Official'.

What are some examples of entries that would fall under 'Indie'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post
They go under doujin/indie, because that's what they are, independent releases. Whether or not the publisher is a professional or not makes no difference as far as independent releases go. A distinction is being made where none exists.
I doesn't seem too logical to bundle Doujin and Indie together under the same tag if they aren't the same thing though, as it's bound to cause confusion. And if there aren't many 'Indie' releases in the database as it is, why should all fan-made albums be labeled as Doujin/Indie.

As far as I can see the only need for an Indie tag is because 'Commercial' infers that money needs to be payed. I think our old system made a better distinction between professional and non-professional artists in this way.